You can use online marketing to get people to your website, but is your website designed to encourage people to do business with you? Let’s find out.
Build a website that converts consumers into customers
In a separate browser window, pull up the website you’ll be advertising. Then, follow along with this checklist to see if it measures up.
Does your website have a clear, eye-catching headline?
Yes, my website has a clear, eye-catching headline.
Awesome! Having a distinct headline on your site is essential to help customers know that they’re in the right place. This will encourage them to stay on your site longer and ultimately take an action that’s valuable to you.
Does your website clearly list the benefits your customer will get if they purchase your product or use your service?
Yes, my website, clearly lists, customer benefits
Terrific! When people come to your site, you might want to make sure they know it right away, as to why they should stay. Make sure the benefits are accessible and easy to read; bullet points are a great way to achieve this.
Does your website features, images or video?
Yes, my website features, images, or video
Way to go! Eye-catching media like photos, video’s and graphics are appealing to customers and an effective way to engage them with your business. But don’t overdo it, too many media content can cause your site to load slowly. You don’t want people leaving your site before they get to see the most important information!
Is there a clear call-to-action on your site?
A call-to-action is something that indicates to your customer exactly, what you want them to do on your site and how they can do it. For example, a “Buy now” button that links to a transaction page, or a “Call today” message next to a prominent phone number.
Yes, my site has a clear call-to-action
Excellent, when you’re clear about the action you want people to take on your site, visitors are much more likely to actually take that action and bring you the business you’re looking for.
Is it easy to locate your business’ contact information on your website?
Yes, my business’ contact information is easy to find on my website
Perfect, making it easy for people to reach you is a great way to build trust and increase transparency with potential customers.
Here are a few more ways to boost customers’ confidence in your business:
- Include customer testimonials or 3rd party verifications about your business
- Openly share information about your business and clearly state what it does
- If you request personal information from customers, make it clear why you’re asking for it and what you’ll do with it
- If you run ads on your site, make sure you distinguish these ads and sponsored links from the rest of your site content
What’s the most important thing you want people to see on your site? If someone new came to your site, would they be able to locate it right away?
Yes, visitors of my website can find the most important information right away.
Fantastic! An easy-to-navigate website is essential if you want to convert potential customers into paying ones.
Here are a few more tips for creating a high-performing website:
- Make navigation simple – Keep your site clean, clear, and simple by:
- Think about smaller screens – It’s not just about the desktop computer anymore. Your customers use different digital devices, like mobile phones and tablets, throughout their day. The smaller the screen, the harder it can be for people to find what they want. Creating a website that automatically adjusts to a user’s device is the best way to make sure everyone who gets to your site, finds what they’re looking for no matter what device they’re using.
- Put important information towards the top of the page – Make it easy for the visitors find your most important content. Make sure it’s immediately visible when they arrive on the page so they don’t have to scroll down to see it.
- Limiting the number of navigation links
- Avoiding the use of pop-ups or other features that could interfere with navigation on your site
- Making sure your site loads quickly so people don’t hit “back” before they even get there
- Quick links to more information – Make it easy for customers to find links to any additional information about the advertised product they might want. For example, a prominent “Learn more” link.
Does your business have an online presence beyond your websites, such as a free Google My Business listing or social media site?
Yes, my business has an online presence beyond our website
Now we’re talking. The web is a big place, which is why your business needs a strong online presence beyond just your website. This can expand your business’ visibility and help you reach more customers.
If you don’t have one already, create a free Google My Business listing. This will get your up-to-date business info on Google Search, Google Maps, and Google+ so that customers can find and connect with you, no matter what device they’re using.
Also, take advantage of free social media sites like Facebook, Twitter, Linkedin and other services that allow you to create a page or listing for your business. So if you answered a “No” to any of these questions, you might want to think about updating your website.